As a parent, you can help your child prepare for 11+ or develop a reading habit by creating a reading-friendly environment at home and setting aside time each day for reading.
Here are some tips for creating a reading-friendly environment:
1. Make sure there is a comfortable place for your child to read, with good lighting and a place to rest their feet.
2. Stock your home with a variety of interesting books, including books that are just right for your child's reading level.
3. Encourage your child to read aloud to you, and take turns reading together.
4. Model the behavior you want to see by reading yourself.
5. Set aside some time each day for reading, and make it a priority.
6. Let your child see you enjoying reading, and talk about why you like it.
7. Help your child select books that they will enjoy, and make sure they have a chance to browse and choose their own books.
8. Encourage your child to keep a reading journal and write down their thoughts about what they are reading.
9. Reward your child for reading, and praise their efforts.
By following these tips, you can help your child develop a love for reading that will last a lifetime.